The Center for Competitiveness and Innovation Studies (CECIN) is an initiative of the Brazilian School of Public and Business Administration of Fundação Getulio Vargas (FGV EBAPE). It develops applied research on competitiveness and innovation, fostering cooperation of projects with researchers and public and private organizations nationally and internationally.
The center focuses on competitiveness and innovation with a purpose aligned with FGV EBAPE’s mission of reaching the highest levels of relevant academic production and being recognized worldwide as an important think-thank.
The general objective of the Center for Competitiveness and Innovation Studies is to become a Brazilian and Latina American reference in applied research in the fields of competitiveness, efficient public management, economic studies, public and business innovation, creative industries, and the experience economy. This should be manifested as follows:
- Development of applied research to build knowledge for areas related to competitiveness;
- Development of cooperation with world renowned research centers;
- Publication of its research findings in internationally recognized academic journals;
- Publication of white papers to influence decision-making in public administration;
- Promotion of training programs to disseminate research on competitiveness;
- Obtaining resources to increase high-level research at FGV EBAPE and other FGV departments.
One of the most relevant themes on the global public and corporate policy agendas and evidenced in several sectors is increased competitiveness at different levels.
Expanding or maintaining competitiveness is linked to the organization’s ability to renew resources, create new products and markets, and carry out a continuous flow of innovations. It is worth remembering that competitiveness is a dynamic phenomenon, a strategic resource that needs continuous renewal.
Thus, it is crucial that companies and countries continually develop capabilities and resources. Innovating and breaking the situation of inertia represent a challenge to all current managers.
In this sense, the Brazilian School of Public and Business Administration created the Center for Competitiveness and Innovation Studies to promote national and international research on these themes.
Our Areas of Expertise
- Applied research and studies.
- lndustry and regional diagnoses.
- Development of adapted methodologies for improving competitiveness and innovation in companies, clusters and regions.
- Workshops, seminars, and events aimed at promoting related themes and priorities of the Brazilian competitiveness agenda.
- Transfer of the generated knowledge.
- Publication of research findings and dissemination in specialized media and on our website.
- Dissemination at international events on competitiveness.
- Assessment of the impact of research and studies carried out with the public and private sectors.
About FGV EBAPE
The Fundação Getúlio Vargas Brazilian School of Public Administration (FGV/EBAP) was created in Rio de Janeiro on April 15, 1952, through a partnership between the United Nations (UN) and FGV. It was the first public administration school in Latin America, established to respond to the demand for qualified professionals in this area.
As the school has always conducted activities referring both to public and private sectors, in 2002, it was renamed the Brazilian School of Public and Business Administration (FGV EBAPE). Over the past decades, FGV EBAPE gained credibility and legitimacy by providing high-level knowledge and helping students obtain excellent academic results, as recognized by the Brazilian Ministry of Education.
Research on public and private businesses has been carried out at FGV EBAPE sporadically for over 40 years and continuously for the last 15 years. It is time to go further and produce analyses that help structure the field of competitiveness, conducting research aligned with the current organization of the world. The creation of the research center boosts the systematization of studies on competitiveness and innovation into new areas of analysis, contributes to obtaining resources from external sources, and, more specifically, supports the development of applied research in the best interest of government and business organizations.
Therefore, the Center for Competitiveness and Innovation Studies is a bridge connecting FGV EBAPE and public and private organizations interested in developing better knowledge about competitive strategy, efficient public management, economic studies, public and business innovation, creative industries, and economy of experience.